Original Editor - User:Uchechukwu Chukwuemeka
Top Contributors -
Description[edit | edit source]
Vastus Intermedius is located centrally, underneath Rectus femoris in the anterior compartment of the thigh and on each side of it: Vastus medialis and Vastus Lateralis respectively. It is one of the four muscles that form the quadriceps femoris muscle. Tensor of Vastus Intermedius is a new muscle that is part of the Quadriceps.
Origin[edit | edit source]
Insertion[edit | edit source]
Function[edit | edit source]
Blood supply[edit | edit source]
The descending branch of the lateral circumference femoral artery supplies this muscle.
Innervation[edit | edit source]
Assessment[edit | edit source]
Assessment of the quadriceps muscles individually cannot be done; therefore, the test for knee extensor integrity is used to assess for it's power. See: Rectus femoris.
Palpation[edit | edit source]
The Vastus Intermedius is difficult to palpate. It is the least superficial muscle in the thigh's anterior compartment muscles; thus, it cannot be isolated for stretching and/or massage.
Resources[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Drake, RL, Vogl, W, Mitchell, AW, Gray, H. Gray's anatomy for Students 2nd ed. Philadelphia : Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier, 2010
- Grob K, Manestar M, Filgueira L, Kuster MS, Gilbey H, Ackland T. The interaction between the vastus medialis and vastus intermedius and its influence on the extensor apparatus of the knee joint. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. 2018 Mar 1;26(3):727-38.
- Veeramani R, Gnanasekaran D. Morphometric study of tensor of vastus intermedius in South Indian population. Anatomy & cell biology. 2017 Mar 1;50(1):7-11.
- Miller, A, Heckert, KD, Davis, BA.The 3-Minute Musculoskeletal & Peripheral Nerve Exam. New York: Demos Medical Publishing. 2009; p.116-117
- Moore, KL, Dalley, AF, Agur, AM. Clinically oriented anatomy. 7th ed. Baltimore, MD: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2014
- Hislop, HJ, Montgomery,J. Daniels and Worthingham's Muscle Testing: Techniques of Manual Examination. 8th ed. Missouri: Saunders Elsevier, 2007; p201-204