Parkinson's Disease Questionnaire (PDQ-8)
Top Contributors -
Introduction[edit | edit source]
Parkinson’s Disease Questionnaire-8 (PDQ-8) is the brief version of PDQ-39 formulated to reduce the respondent burden and for convenient use in clinical settings in patients of Parkinson Disease, Parkinson’s Disease Questionnaire (PDQ-39) consists of 39 questions from 8 dimensions: mobility, activities of daily of living, emotional well-being, stigma, social support, cognition, communication, and bodily discomfort, and therefore can be cumbersome to complete. Parkinson’s disease Questionnaire-8 (PDQ-8) is the patient reported outcome measure constructed by taking one question from each of the eight domain of PDQ-39.
Intended Population[edit | edit source]
It is a quality of life outcome measure used in patient with Parkinson disease.
Method of Use[edit | edit source]
Equipment Required[edit | edit source]
Questionnaire based, Pen and paper
Training Required[edit | edit source]
none[edit | edit source]
Time Required[edit | edit source]
This instrument though freely available is copyrighted by the authors and requires their permission prior to use.
Instrument and Scoring[edit | edit source]
It is a eight question instrument with a question taken from each domain of: mobility, activities of daily of living, emotional well-being, stigma, social support, cognition, communication, and bodily discomfort.
The question are cored out of 0-4 and the sum is totaled.
The questions are:
- Had difficulty getting around in public?
- Had difficulty dressing yourself?
- Felt depressed?
- Had problems with your close personal relationships?
- Had problems with your concentration, e.g. when reading or watching TV?
- Felt unable to communicate with people properly?
- Had painful muscle cramps or spasms?
- Felt embarrassed in public due to having Parkinson’s disease?
Psychometric Properties[edit | edit source]
Inter-rater/ Intra-rater reliability: strong correlation between the summary indices of the PDQ-8 and the PDQ-39 (r=0.93, P<0.001)
Internal Consistency: acceptable internal consistency(Cronbach’s α: 0.80; Item-scale correlation efficient: 0.56–0.72)
Validity: Excellent convergent and concurrent validity
Additional Resources[edit | edit source]
More Information can be found at:
References[edit | edit source]
- Peto V, Jenkinson C, Fitzpatrick R. PDQ-39: a review of the development, validation and application of a Parkinson's disease quality of life questionnaire and its associated measures. J Neurol. 1998;245(Suppl 1):S10–S14.
- Hagell P, Whalley D, McKenna SP, Lindvall O. Health status measurement in Parkinson's disease: validity of the PDQ-39 and Nottingham health profile. Mov Disord. 2003;18:773–783.
- Chen, K., Yang, YJ., Liu, FT. et al. Evaluation of PDQ-8 and its relationship with PDQ-39 in China: a three-year longitudinal study. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2017. 15, 170. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12955-017-0742-5
- Huang TT, et al. Quality of life in Parkinson’s disease patients: validation of the Short-Form Eight-item Parkinson’s Disease Questionnaire (PDQ-8) in Taiwan. Qual Life Res 2011;20:499-505