Matrix Rhythm Therapy
Introduction[edit | edit source]
Matrix Rhyhtm Therapy (MRT) (MaRhyThe) is a latest advancement in physiotherapy which use basic concept of vibration and massage. MRT was founded by Dr. Ulrich G. Randoll. It is directly derived from the clinical and fundamental video microscopic research of Erlangan University (Dr. Randoll) in 1990s. This treatment helps to activate and balance the normal physiological vibrations of the skeletal muscles and nervous system.Upto date Matrix Rhythm Therapy is used in 28 countries including India, Australia, Germany and United Kingdom.
Mechanism of Action[edit | edit source]
MRT is a cell biological therapy which activates and rebalances special physiological vibrations of skeletal muscles and nervous system. During disease there is a deficiency in energy metabolism at the cellular level and it must be normalized before any adequate therapy. MRT reactivated the cell metabolism and normalizes the physiological process by depth effective rhythmical phase synchronous magneto mechanical oscillations. MRT modulated between 8-12 Hz of frequency.
In this process of oscillation and vibration, cells are stimulated and entire tissue is rhythmically resynchronized. It has been proposed that the MRT machine rebalances the cellular micro-processes depending on entire cellular regeneration and healing acting on the basis of cell biology by way of micro-stretching.
The contracted areas of musculature will by inductively relaxed by increased circulation which increases oxygenated blood followed by ATP synthesis and dissolution of the tension. Immediate effect can be seen as relaxation of tissue, muscle and fascia. This relaxation remains longer and maintained as the metabolic process at cellular level are regulated and oxygen supply to cells is improved.
Effect of Matrix Rhythm Therapy on Human Tissue[edit | edit source]
During the state of disease condition where there is swelling, inflammation, tightness, or spasticity cells do not get space to oscillate. This restricts the flow of oxygen. Mitochondria which is called power house of the cells do not get enough oxygen to produce energy leading to further contraction of tissue and muscle, restricting the movement and causing pain.
MRT provides oscillations between 8-12 Hz. This synchronizes with the body to re-establish the disturbed rhythm at cellular level. It improves the oxygen supply by improving the microcirculation thereby improving the energy production causing the relaxation of tissue, muscle, and fascia.
Effect of Matrix Rhythm Therapy on Body Systems[edit | edit source]
- Activation of metabolism
- Acceleration of venous and lymphatic flow
- Activation of the immune system
- Normalization of alpha-gamma tension of the musculature
- Neuromuscular activation via the reflex arcs
- Targeted relaxation of local muscular spasms
- Targeted removal of muscular remanence
- Reduction of viscosity
- Reduction of the interstitial PH value
- Increase of tissue temperature to normal temperature
- Reduction of tissue fluid absorption
- Targeted strengthening of the muscle’s own resonance
- Restoration of the colloid osmotic tissue tonus
- Establishment of individual good resonance through resonance spectrum adaptation
- Support action for the tissue characteristic attractor
- Improvement of the mechanical-magnetic coherence
Indications[edit | edit source]
- Acceleration of regeneration in cases of chronic degenerative diseases - Rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis
- Improvement of reduced joint mobility - Post trauma, post immobilization, frozen shoulder
- Acceleration of functional and structural nerve regeneration - Carpal tunnel syndrome, motor neuron disease, Parkinson’s disease, cerebral palsy
- Reduction of swelling - Hematoma, oedema, lymphatic blockages
- Improvement of elasticity- Pes equines, scars, adhesions, contracture, scleroderma, posture problems 
- Pain management for acute or chronic conditions- Overstretching of muscle fibres, zoster, neuralgia, backache, paresthesia, phantom limb pain, migraine
- Acceleration of tissue healing – Non healing ulcers, burn injuries
Contraindications[edit | edit source]
- Open, inflamed or infected skin surfaces
- Fresh fractures
- Tendency for bleeding, hematoma formation
- Tendency towards embolism
- Pace maker
- Mucous membranes
- Direct contact to bones
Conclusion[edit | edit source]
Matrix Rhythm Therapy is considered as one of the newest advancement in physiotherapy and highly effective in treating patients with various pathological conditions. It shows excellent therapeutic efficacy in treating pain and movement dysfunction. However more clinical evidences with randomized controlled trials and randomized clinical trials needed to explore the efficacy of Matrix Rhythm Therapy in further.
References[edit | edit source]
- Sarı Z, Polat MG, Özgül B, Aydoğdu O, Camcıoğlu B, Acar AH, Yurdalan SU. The application of matrix rhythm therapy as a new clinical modality in burn physiotherapy programmes. Burns. 2014 Aug 1;40(5):909-14
- Naik V, Singh M. Effects of matrix rhythm therapy (MaRhyThe) in plantar fasciitis – An experimental study. Indian J Phys Ther Res 2019;1:105-9
- 1. Maruthy T, Bindu PH, Kauser MS. Effects of matrix rhythm therapy in patients with myofascial trigger points. Journal of Society of Indian Physiotherapists. 2019 Aug;3(2):27-9.
- 1. Bhatikar K. Effect of Matrix rhythm therapy in B/L adductor muscle tightness in pediatric cerebral palsy: a case report. J Palliat Care Med. 2018;9(1):1-3.
- Sarı, Zübeyir & Polat, Mine & Özgül, Bahar & Aydoğdu, Onur & camcıoğlu, Burcu & Acar, Ahmet & Yurdalan, Saadet. (2014). The application of matrix rhythm therapy as a new clinical modality in burn physiotherapy programmes. Burns. 40. 10.1016/j.burns.2013.11.009.
- 1. Shrivastava S. Matrix rhythm therapy: A new dimension in pain management and restricted mobility–“Birth Injuries”. IJARSE. 2015;4:113-8.
- 1. Sonali Shrivastava, Arif K. S. An Overview of Matrix Rhythm Concept and Efficacy of Matrix Rhythm Therapy in Pathological Conditions . IJHSP [Internet]. 2019Apr.20 [cited 2022Apr.20];3(1):25-30.
- Bhagwat S. Role of matrix-rhythm-therapy in the treatment of non-traumatic restricted movements of shoulder. InAnnual conference of physiotherapy 2010.
- Naik V, Bhagwat S, Pathania T, Bootwala F. Effectiveness of matrix rhythm therapy in frozen shoulder with respect to ROM and pain-An experimental study. IJAR. 2018;4(1):73-6.