WHPA Health Improvement Card
Introduction[edit | edit source]
Following their statement on non-communicable diseases and social determinants of health the World Health Professions Alliance have launched an easy-to-use, practical guide to help individuals and their health professionals reduce the risk of noncommunicable diseases (NCDs). This simple, universal educational tool informs individuals on positive behaviour and lifestyle changes to avoid chronic or noncommunicable diseases (NCDs). It empowers individuals to work with their health care professional to establish personal health goals and to track their progress.
The Health Improvement Card contains a lifestyle scorecard which measures lifestyle/behavioural risk factors, a biometric scorecard which measures metabolic/biometric risk factors and an action plan and goals targeting risk factors.
The information obtained through the card can help individuals and health professionals develop interventions to address individuals’ risk factors and actively improve their health and well-being. They are shown how to:
- avoid tobacco use and harmful alcohol consumption
- improve diet
- undertake regular sufficient physical activity
- achieve and maintain healthy weight
- manage tension and stress
- access preventive care and screening for preventable illness.
Health Improvement Card Toolkit[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- World Health Professions Alliance. WHPA NCD Campaign. Available at http://www.whpa.org/news/Media_Release_WHPA_Health_Improvement_Card__12_September_2011.pdf, last accessed 14 September 2011