Single Knee to Chest Stretch
Stretching plays a pivotal role in any physical activity as it improves blood circulation and provides nutrients to joints. It also alleviate muscle soreness and stress. Knee to chest exercise is also known as McKenzie Exercise.
Starting position: Lie on your back with your legs extended and back straight. Keep you hips level and your lower back down on the floor.
Action: Bend your right knee and hug your knee towards your chest, placing hands on your right leg. Then breath deeply and hold this position for 10-30 seconds. Now, relax and lower the knee to starting position and repeat on opposite side.
These exercises have significant impact on chronic low back pain . When pressure is placed on the posterior aspect of the lumbar vertebral with extension, disc herniation can occur. This is due to increased lumbar lordosis; lumbar lordosis would decrease by limiting the pressure placed on the posterior aspect of the lumbar vertebra. The decrease in pressure would improve by improving the flexion of the vertebral disc, leading to decreased disc herniation, thus reducing the incidence of chronic low back pain. The exercise open the intervertebral foramen to provide additional lumbar stability.
When patients perform the exercises regularly.
- it reduce pain,
- improve the stability of the lower pelvis,
- increase the range of motion.
- Lam OT, Strenger DM, Chan-Fee M, Pham PT, Preuss RA, Robbins SM. Effectiveness of the McKenzie method of mechanical diagnosis and therapy for treating low Back Pain: literature review with meta-analysis. journal of orthopaedic & sports physical therapy. 2018 Jun;48(6):476-90.
- Dydyk AM, Sapra A. Williams Back Exercises. InStatPearls [Internet] 2019 Dec 9. StatPearls Publishing.
- Collegiate Sports Medicine(Red Deer).Knee to Chest Exercise. Available from www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kzfXDNq_P8 [last accessed 23/10/2020]