Placement Education (Clinical Education)
Original Editor - Jo Etherton
Models and Types of Placement Supervision
1:1, 1:2, 1:3 etc MDT placements Observational Role emerging
The CSP has prepared this briefing - Ensuring sufficient practice placement capacity for physiotherapy students - in response to indications that the provision of sufficient practice placements for pre-registration physiotherapy students is becoming an increasing challenge in some geographical areas. It seeks to promote a collaborative approach to addressing these challenges and highlights the importance of making the case for supporting student practice education within workforce planning processes.
What is a Successful Placement Experience?
- Educator-student relationship 
- Learning contracts and learning outcomes
UK Physiotherapy Placements
Students are required to gain 1000 hours on placement in order to achieve registration with the Health and Care Professionals Council. The CSP's article on experience explains various roles that can be included. Current settings that physiotherapy students currently gain experience in are:
- NHS settings.
- Football clubs
- The Ministry of Defence (MOD) and military units.
- Private hospital groups / large private practices
- Placements in social care and the voluntary sector
- Practice placements overseas
- Chartered Society of Physiotherapy.Code of Professional Values and Behaviours. http://www.csp.org.uk/professional-union/professionalism/csp-expectations-members/code-professional-values-behaviour (accessed 19 June 2014)
- G Sutkin, E Wagner, I Harris, R Schiffer.What makes a good clinical teacher in medicine? A review of the literature. Academic Medicine 2008; 83:1-5.
- Tomorrows Medicine. The role of clinical assessment in competency based medicine Avaliable from www.//youtube.com/watch?v=cCiXiRIEw-Y
- Chartered Society of Physiotherapy. Student placements: are you experienced? https://www.csp.org.uk/frontline/article/student-placements-are-you-experienced ( Accessed 17 March 2020)
- The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy. Student Practice Placements https://www.csp.org.uk/frontline/article/student-placements-are-you-experienced (Accessed 17 March 2020)