- side lying
- test-side ankle off the edge of the plinth
- For grades 0 to 2 patient can be supine or short sitting ('gravity minimal' position)
- Sit on stool/chair in front of patient
- One hand palpate over peroneal tendons
- For grades 4 and 5: provide resistance over dorsum + lateral foot
- Patient actively everts
- For grades 4 and 5: therapist to give resistance towards inversion & slight dorsiflexion 
- To satisfy grade 5 'normal muscle' performance criteria, the patient must have the ability to move through complete range of motion (active resistance testing) '''OR''' maintain an end point range (break testing) against maximum resistance.
- ↑ Hislop H, Avers D, Brown M. Daniels and Worthingham's muscle Testing-E-Book: Techniques of manual examination and performance testing. Elsevier Health Sciences; 2013 Sep 27.