Cardiovascular Disease and Diet
Introduction[edit | edit source]
Cardiovascular diseases (CVD) are the leading cause of mortality worldwide. Human health is influenced by diet. Dietary modification is a cornerstone of CVD prevention and can reduce CVD morbidity and mortality.
You can easily optimise your patients’ outcomes by improving your understanding of the relationship between CVD and diet.
Current research refers to a dietary pattern that is rich in fruits and vegetables, as the most cardioprotective, due to its high concentration of bioactive compounds for example unsaturated fatty acids, polyphenols, fiber, phytosterols, vitamins and minerals. These compounds exert antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antithrombotic effects contributing to the delay of CVD initiation and progression.
Specific Diets[edit | edit source]
DASH, Mediterranean, and vegetarian diets have the most evidence for CVD prevention. Watch these less than 3 minute videos to get an introduction to these diets.
Physiotherapy Relevance[edit | edit source]
"Physiotherapists provide holistically driven interventions to their clients with a primary focus on exercise. Because diet can have such a significant impact on patients' ability to engage in exercise rehabilitation and their overall outcomes, it is beneficial for physiotherapists to understand the relationship between nutrition and disease processes"  See this informative page for its diets relevance to the physiotherapy profession Relevance of Nutrition in Physiotherapy
References[edit | edit source]
- Badimon L, Chagas P, Chiva-Blanch G. Diet and cardiovascular disease: effects of foods and nutrients in classical and emerging cardiovascular risk factors. Current medicinal chemistry. 2019 Jun 1;26(19):3639-51. Available:https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28462707/ (accessed 11.9.2022)
- Pallazola VA, Davis DM, Whelton SP, Cardoso R, Latina JM, Michos ED, Sarkar S, Blumenthal RS, Arnett DK, Stone NJ, Welty FK. A clinician's guide to healthy eating for cardiovascular disease prevention. Mayo Clinic Proceedings: Innovations, Quality & Outcomes. 2019 Sep 1;3(3):251-67. Available: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6713921/ (accessed 11.9.2022)
- AllHealthGO. Understanding the DASH diet. Available from:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si6GmAXbmZ4 [last accessed 11.9.2022]
- British heart foundation. Why is the Mediterranean diet good for your heart?. Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5aof7UI3yg [last accessed 11.9.2022]
- Sutter Health. Vegetarian Nutrition | Getting Enough Protein | Ask the Doctor. Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TANssbBdgrA [last accessed 11.9.2022]
- Relevance of Nutrition in Physiotherapy