Abductor Pollicis Brevis
Description[edit | edit source]
Origin[edit | edit source]
It takes its origin from the front of transverse carpal ligament, extending into the tubercles of scaphoid and trapezium with an occasional contribution from the tendon of abductor pollicis longus.
Insertion[edit | edit source]
Nerve[edit | edit source]
Artery[edit | edit source]
Princeps pollicis artery.
Function[edit | edit source]
It acts to abduct the carpometacarpal joint of the thumb.
Clinical relevance[edit | edit source]
- Carpal tunel syndrome
- Median and ulnar nerve lesion
- Motor neurone disease
- Peripheral neuropathy
Assessment[edit | edit source]
The function can be tested by providing resistance to abduction up and away from the plane of the palm.
Strength Tips[edit | edit source]
There are some useful exercises to strengthen the abductor pollicis brevis muscle which include many common techniques that you can do in your own home on your own time.
References[edit | edit source]
- Cael C. Functional anatomy. Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins; 2011
- Palastanga N, Field D, Soames R. Anatomy and human movement. 4th ed. Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann; 2002.
- Lippert L, Lippert L. Clinical kinesiology and anatomy. 4th ed. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis; 2006.
- Tiwana MS, Sinkler MA, Bordoni B. Anatomy, Shoulder and Upper Limb, Triceps Muscle. StatPearls [Internet]. 2020 May 30
- The Muscles of the Hand - Thenar - Hypothenar - TeachMeAnatomy [Internet]. Teachmeanatomy.info. 2020 [cited 21 September 2020]. Available from: https://teachmeanatomy.info/upper-limb/muscles/hand/?fbclid=IwAR12pBXShD88Na_jqJc6bSMhslR1-4F573kwF60ZHdV3C67U7380Itmqgxk#Lumbricals
- Harrison M. Common problems. Neurological Skills. 1987;:63-99.
- UC San Diego's Practical Guide to Clinical Medicine [Internet]. Meded.ucsd.edu. 2020 [cited 22 September 2020]. Available from: https://meded.ucsd.edu/clinicalmed/joints3.html
- MMT Abductor pollicis brevis & Adductor pollicis. Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYLm6rL3v-I&feature=emb_logo [Last accessed 1/10/2020]
- Exercises to Strengthen the Abductor Pollicis Brevis Muscle : Sports Conditioning. Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYsZLTrUT1I&feature=emb_logo [Last accessed 30/9/2020]