Sitting and chronic disease
Original Editor - Tony Lowe
Top Contributors -
Summary[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
Management[edit | edit source]
Suggested approaches for officer workers to reduce and break sitting periods:
- Use a standing desk.
- Use standing meetings.
- Take telephone calls standing.
- Walk to see a colleague rather than call or email.
- Eat lunch away from your desk.
References[edit | edit source]
- George ES, Rosenkranz RR, Kolt GS., Chronic disease and sitting time in middle-aged Australian males: findings from the 45 and Up Study. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2013 Feb 8;10:20. doi: 10.1186/1479-5868-10-20.
- Katzmarzyk PT, et al. Sitting time and mortality from all causes, cardiovascular disease, fckLRand cancer. Medicine and science in sports and exercise 2009; 41(5): 998-1005.
- Patel AV, et al. Leisure time spent sitting in relation to total mortality in a prospective fckLRcohort of US adults. American Journal of Epidemiology 2010; 172(4): 419-29.
- Healy GN, et al. Sedentary time and cardio-metabolic biomarkers in US adults: NHANES fckLR2003-06. European Heart Journal 2011; 32(5) 590-97.
- Healy GN, et al. Breaks in sedentary time: beneficial associations with metabolic risk. Diabetes Care 2008; 31(4): 661-6.